WTF is a Meme? If you don’t know, you seriously need to read this because, as we all know, the interbutts is serious business.
1) Meme is pronounced with a long ‘E’, i.e. rhymes with ’scream’. If you don’t believe me look up Merriam-Webster, those assholes who make dictionaries for a living. They agree. Pronouncing it any other way is un-American and angers Chuck Norris, Superman, and Captain America.
Pronunciation: ˈmēm (long ‘e’)
Etymology: alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme
: an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture
Still don’t believe me? How about Richard Dawkins? Since you fanbois like to bend it and rave about how great he is read:
The Selfish Gene (2nd ed., new ed ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 368
Dawkins himself says it was borrowed from a French word but should be pronounced with the long ‘e’. Read the stupid book if you care so much. Point being if you pronounce it any other way besides long ‘e’, you’re wrong, you’ve been wrong, or you’re French. Either way, not looking good.
2) I am not affiliated with any particular website. Any idiot can take random pictures off the interbutts, add a stupid caption on it, and post it to 4chan or memebase.
3) For those prone to quoting stupid internets rules: First read my previous point. Also, since you’re such a meme-ologist you should know Rules 1&2 only apply to raids. This is not a raid. This…is…YOUTUBE!!!!
4) Yes, I know who Richard Dawkins is. Calling him ’some asshole’ was a little joke on my part. To everyone who posts here with comments like, “His name is Richard Dawkins you #$^%$ idiot!”…reading things off Wikipedia doesn’t make you an expert on them.
5) Basically this started with a photoshopped image of a cat with a cheeseburger. Since then, there’s been millions of pictures like that posted all over the interbutts, with people changing little aspects each time. Also, sites like www.4chan.org, which has nothing to do with memes at all, yet is responsible for the majority of them. People will post there stupid photos, and wait for someone to reply with a captioned version. Then it spreads either to different pictures, or they would change the caption. Memebase makes this very easy to do. Also, due to a viral phenomona known as Brock Obama, many people have taken trolling, memes, and 4chan (read point 3) to Facebook. Many people have active pages on Facebook, all affiliated with Brock in many ways, who is basically the president of an internet troll army by now. He is considered god, yet there are also many other people, inspired by retro Nintendo games, such as; Hipster Link, Amabo Kcorb, Connor the gay Pidgeot, Metagross, Nightmare the Shiny Jedi Tyranitar, Epic Sax Guy, The girl on the Internet etc. They recently shut down various parts of the internet with spam and hate messages (threats) to oppose the SOPA action that may censor the internet, so there is no question about their authority and influence.
6)It kills me to add this…So you still don’t know what a Meme is? Sigh…okay. Basically a meme is anything that is self-propagating. In reference to teh intrabutts, its normally a picture accompanied by a catchy phrase. Someone else will then either modify the phrase slightly or change the picture used with it. Memes are often used to convey thoughts such as, This sucks, This rocks, This makes no sense. Along the same line as ‘viral videos’. These are commonly used on internet forums and image boards.
If you need some examples, I suggest looking up Pedobear, Business Cat, Anti Joke chicken, nice guy Greg and Scumbag Steve