Some tips to avoid Phishing Scams.
Nowadays this is word that all of us are hearing frequently.Wikipedia defines Phishing as the criminally fraudulent process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as user-names, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.It is commonly carried out via email.Such emails carry a link to a fake site that looks similar to the original website.Phishing is commonly seen in the case of Bank websites.
Some precautions to be taken are:-
- If possible do not click on links inside the email.
- Do not give out confidential information(like user-names,passwords,account numbers etc) in emails even if they are from government websites.
- When accessing sites check for the Padlock icon at the upper or bottom right corner of the web page
- Do not access bank or financial sites from shared computers or networks.Make sure you use your home computer for secure transactions.
- Make sure your Anti- Virus or Anti-spy-ware soft wares are up to-date.Most of us install these soft wares but do not frequently update them which is a serious mistake.It is the same as not installing them.
- Manually type the bank’s URL from any official document of the bank ( like ATM/Debit Card?Credit Card/Bank Statements etc).
- Make it a point to use the virtual key board available on the bank website.This is to protect your self from key-loggers which record every keystroke on infected computers.